Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Barracus Flavius

I have been meaning to write a post about the disgust I feel at the way the Obama Administration, half of congress, and much of the American population is waging war (both covertly and overtly) on people who have gained wealth through industry and intelligence. We will all be screwed if wealthy people are legislated out of existence. But my bro just wrote that post, so I'll link to his here.


In the same vein, here's the quote of the day. Nothing your conservative grandma hasn't e-forwarded to you lately, but it's pithy and true nonetheless.


"You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Adrian Rogers

9 comments:

  1. Chris, I think you should expand on why you think much of the government (Democratic party?) and its citizen's at war with the wealthy. Maybe I've been ignoring it but I don't see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your friend Logan must be joking- or he doesn't watch TV. The only way you can multiply wealth by dividing it is by living the law of consecration- and only a perfectly righteous people can succeed at that. Tidbits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post, Kook. I'm pretty worried and disgusted, too. I hope enough people will feel the same and stop this madness. So do you still like the Obama administration? You kind of did a few months ago, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW, this is a pretty high class blog when your titles are allusions to Roman depots. Impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No Rachel, I'm not joking. I always enjoyed Chris' analysis and objectivity and I'm hoping I'll get to read and learn a little more beyond his original post. Maybe I'm beyond help. I'm flattered that anyone would accuse me of not watching tv. Does 5 hours a day of PBS kids count? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol, Rachel. This blog needs more sass, and I'm glad you're here to bring it.

    Bird, I never LOVED the Obamanos, nor do I absolutely DETEST them now. I always like some things and dislike others. But you're right, a few months ago, I liked more things than disliked, and lately I dislike much more than I like.

    Skew, I was scared you were going to make me back up my empty name calling with actual fact. I'm about to hit the road for a few hours, so i'll use that time to try to mentally catalog instances of what I'm talking about and respond later.

    Also, let me tell you the other day when I was posting something I was thinking "It would be cool if this blog had black, mexican, liberal, atheist, evangelical, and non-american readers to get some interesting dialogue going. Until then, It's a good thing I have Logan."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I second Rachel's comment about the law of consecration, my thoughts exactly. The whole Robin Hood thing Obama is going for just can't work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christian and Logan, I'm nowhere near as informed as I should be, but there are a couple things that to me support what you, Christian, are saying.

    First of all, increasing taxes for those who make over $250,000 as well as minimizing tax deductions, like charitable contributions for one. From what I understand, these will have a huge impact.

    Secondly, while you, Christian, were talking about the rich, I would include corporate America in the umbrella of public enemy no. 1 to our current administration. I am appalled by the actions of AIG and other corrupt CEOs and businesses, but I think it's extremely dangerous to make huge sweeping policies based on a few bad apples. The bonus AIG scandal is a perfect example to me. I've heard reports on CNBC that the President and Geitner (sp?) were fully aware that AIG would give huge bonuses, and then after the public outrage, congress and the administration then keep enacting things retroactively for everyone who's received any TARP money. Getting the IRS involved, it's just such a mess. They need to get out of the way and let the market and the rich people keep the economy going for all our sakes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chris, as you formulate you opinion you may want to check out the most current edition of the Economist as it's cover article "The rich under attack" seems to make the case for you.

    http://www.economist.com/displayStory.cfm?story_id=13405314&source=most_commented

    ReplyDelete